Common sense is absolutely necessary for safe traveling in any large urban area. While most of Chicago is perfectly safe to explore this city, but you should take these
Carry less cash and try to use credit cards.
luggage in a hotel / motel / hostel locker but keep your valuable with you.
to hide your stuff in the trunk of the car
- Keep your passport or other identification in a different pocket from your
Keep an eye on your stuff.
Never leave bags unattended in any public place.
While waiting in lines, keep your bags between your legs and put your feet
through the straps.
- Dress humbly. Don't wear valuable jewelry, watches or other accessories for
everyone to see.
Look like you know what you're doing.
- Don't wander around unfamiliar areas
or bury your nose in a map.
- If you're going to a new area, ask other
travelers or hotel staff about possible dangers to avoid.
Take precautions at automated teller machines (ATM's). Use ATM's during the
day. If you need to use an ATM at night, make sure you are in a well lighted
area and no one is watching or following you.
Avoid walking through deserted areas at night. Tray to stay on streets with lots of
light and lots of people.
- Late at night, wait for a bus or spend money on a
cab rather than take a risk by walking.
Have a wonderful time in Chicago and visit our Polish community.